Thursday, December 4, 2008

2009 Grammy Nominees


Just like Stage predicted to me a year ago, Lil Wayne leads the Grammy nominees for 2009 with 8 nods. This should be a interesting year seeing who wins in the hip hop categories.

Album Of The Year:

Alison Krauss & Robert Plant, Raising Sand
Coldplay, Viva La Vida
Ne-Yo, Year Of The Gentleman
Lil Wayne, Tha Carter III
Radiohead, In Rainbows

Since I haven't heard Alison Krauss & Robert Plant, Radiohead or Coldplay's album I can't say who I think will win. But I can't remember the last time a hip hop or R&B album won album of the year.

Best Rap Album:

Jay-Z,  American Gangster
Lil Wayne, Tha Carter III
Lupe Fiasco, The Cool
Nas, Untitled
T.I.,  Paper Trail

I have no idea how this one will pan out. Jay's album was great but he doesnt necessarily need this one, Lil Wayne sold the most records and had the biggest year, but I think Lupe's album was something refreshing for hip hop. I would honestly like to see Lupe win this one but I think Wayne will get this.

Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group:

Big Boi feat. Raekwon & Andre 3000 "Royal Flush"
T.I. feat. Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and Jay-Z "Swagger Like Us"
Lil Wayne feat. Jay-Z "Mr. Carter"
Ludacris feat. T.I. "Wish You Would"
Young Jeezy feat. Kanye West "Put On"

This one is a toss up between "Swagger Like Us" and "Put On". The emotion behind Jeezy's record was crazy, but its almost impossible to top the combination of T.I., Kanye, Wayne, and Jay-Z.

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration:

Estelle feat. Kanye West, "American Boy"
Flo Rida feat. T Pain, "Low"
John Legend feat. Andre 3000, "Green Light"
Lil Wayne feat. T-Pain, "Got Money"
Lupe Fiasco feat. Matthew Santos "Superstar"


Estelle or Flo Rida will probably get this one because their records were the 2 biggest ones and had the most impact. Probably leaning toward Estelle a lil more because "Low" is just ughhh everytime I heard it...




The one thing that I noticed in the hip hop category is that Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and Kanye dominate in pretty much everything. I wish there was more of a variety of artist that were nominated, but this makes me wonder is the music these artist are creating really that amazing or is hip hop really that bad right now...???


While you think about this, check out Stage's first official single 
"Spin My Shit" feat. Glasses Malone Produced by Meetro



No comments: